Welcome to the website of the Hellenic Ministry of Culture and Sports, Directorate of International Relations and European Union, Department of European Union.
This website offers information about the nomination of the European Capital of Culture (ECoC), institution which Greece will host in 2023, as well as cultural activities funded by the European Commission.
NEW! Adoption of the legislative act regarding the “Decision of the European Parliament and of the Council amending Decision No 445/2014/EU establishing a Union action for the European Capitals of Culture for the years 2020 to 2033”
European Capitals of Culture have already been designated until 2025:
- 2020-31/4/2021 – Rijeca (Croatia) and Galway (Ireland)
- 2022 – Kaounas (Lithuania), Esch (Luxembourg) and Novi Sad (Serbia, candidate country)
- 2023 – Veszprém (Hungary), Timisoara (Romania) and Elefsina (Greece)
- 2024 – Tartu (Estonia), Bad Ischl-Salzkammergut (Austria) and Bodø (Norway, EFTA country)
- 2025 – Nova Gorica (Slovenia) and Chemnitz (Germany)